Here at WorkflowMax, we love cats (well, some of the team actually prefer dogs, but they don’t write the blog posts). And we also love helping businesses improve, so when you combine the two, what do you get?
Here are 10 motivational tips from some of the world’s cleverest minds, and the cats that believe in them.
Want more cat-related tips? Check out 11 project management lessons from cats, 11 small business lessons from cats and 10 lessons cats can teach us about staying on top of deadlines.
1. Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. –Anais Nin
The world can be a big, scary place, and you can sometimes feel impossibly small and unprepared. But only those with the courage to really step out and explore will get to see just how big and amazing and full of opportunities the world can be.
2. "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." George Patton
Don’t spend all your time perfecting the plan. At some point you have to go out there and get shit done. Look at how satisfied this kitten is – I bet if you ask him he’ll agree with Mr. Patton.
3. "Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." Robert Collier
Like a kitten learning to chase after bits of string and toy mice, you go through a lot of string and crash into a lot of furniture before you finally bring home the prize. But every lunge you make has to be 100% committed, otherwise that mouse is just going to get away.
4. "The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you." John E. Southard
Especially when their version of “helping” involves getting you wet for no good reason.
5. Whatever the mind of man (or woman. or cat) can conceive and believe, it can achieve. –Napoleon Hill
If you can dream it up, you can find a way to make it happen. So start dreaming.
6. "The successful warrior is the average man, with laserlike focus." Bruce Lee
Once you know what you want, focus in on it and strive until it is yours.
(My cats get this look when they stare at the cupboard that holds their food, and they do get what they want in the end).
7. "Boredom is the feeling that everything is a waste of time...serenity, that nothing is." Thomas Szasz
Especially not sleep. So get your 40 winks every night. And how can anyone be bored in a world so full of wonder as this one?
8. "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." Thomas A. Edison
Failure is a part of life. It’s actually one of the most vital parts because without it, we’d never learn and grow as people. So, although failure can really suck sometimes – as this kitty is discovering – it’s necessary and welcome.
9. The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. –Amelia Earhart
Cats tenaciously strive for everything they seek … even if what they seek seems really bizarre to us. What goals are you tenaciously chasing in 2016?
10. "Keep your eyes open and try to catch people in your company doing something right, then praise them for it." Tom Hopkins
Instead of always looking for people who are messing up, make it your mission to capture the best moments and acknowledge them. You’ll lift up everyone around you, and you will never regret being kind.
As you can see, cats definitely understand the tenets of motivation. They’re also quite cute and cuddly (just like you). Are you ready to set and achieve auspicious goals in 2016, or has your motivation gone to the dogs?